Once a horse arrives at The Barefoot Ranch, they are held in quarantine for a minimum of two weeks to ensure there are no unknown health concerns. During this time they are assessed to see how much training and experience they have. The horses here range from being completely untouched to having extensive training and years of experience. Some horses will then receive additional training if needed, others will be placed in the corral, where our special needs horses are. These horses are given extra feed and brought back to a healthy weight. Once our team feels a horse is ready for adoption, they are made available. They are placed on our website and usually appear in a post on Facebook.
If you have seen a horse on Facebook, our website or elsewhere that is interesting to you, it’s time to contact us and let us know you are interested. We try to make the adoption process as easy as possible while ensuring our horses will be well taken care of for the rest of their lives. We will disclose all of the information we have available to us on your horse of interest, we also keep thorough records of all treatment and training received while in our care. The adoption process is as follows:
- Step 1. Fill out our Equine Adoption Form indicating which horse you are interested in.
- Step 2. We will contact you for an initial interview and go over your application and discuss your horse of interest.
- Step 3. We will check your references and contact your farrier and veterinary clinic to ensure there are no concerns.
- Step 4. We will contact you to let you know that your references have checked out and arrange an initial meeting with your chosen horse.
- Step 5. If the two of you are a match we will make arrangements to do a farm check to ensure you are set up for a horse (shelter, water source, feed, etc.)
- Step 6. The adoption fee is collected and the adoption contract is signed.
- Step 7. Arrangements are made for the pickup or drop off of your chosen horse.
- Step 8. We will do a check-in with you three days after receiving the horse to ensure all is well.
- Step 9. We will check in two weeks after adoption for one last check to ensure all is well.
Of course you are always welcome to contact us at any time with any questions or concerns.